The Portrait Sketch
In this class students may draw or paint. In paint, students will work in a direct alla-prima approach to painting a portrait sketch in oil paint. Some topics discussed will be composition, depth, color theory, rolling form, edges, lighting, transfer methods and how to work a narrative into a painting. The instructor will mostly give individual critiques working one-on-one with each student.
Students of all levels are welcome.
$25 model fee.
SUGGESTED MATERIALS for this class based on the materials I use when doing a Sketch.
You are welcome to bring materials you are used to using as well.
2 Canvases or Masonite Panel around 9 x 12 prepare for oil painting
Brushes - Different sizes, preferably Bristle and Synthetics (Raphael size 4, 6, 8 and 10)
Linseed Oil as a medium (optional)
Turpenoid or Gamsol
Metal cups that clip onto palette (for turps and linseed oil)
Rages or Paper Towels
Maul Stick (Optional)
French Easel or Wooden Paint Box (Optional)
Recommended Oil Paint Colors
Cad Red Deep (optional)
Cobalt Blue (optional)
Ivory or Lamp Black
Cad Green Lt.
Graphite Pencil preferably HB, 2B , F or 2H
Razor for cutting down pencil
9 x 12 or larger Strathmore Drawing Pad, 150 lb.
Drawing board cut to size of pad or larger
Visual Arts Policies
Teen Students enrolled in Adult Classes: Students under 18 yrs of age must have written permission from a parent or guardian to attend any class which uses a nude life model. To download the model consent form, click here. The Art Center also reserves the right to substitute life & portrait models for any reason.
Material Lists: Before purchasing supplies for a class, please confirm your class status with the office, (see minimum enrollment & registration policies).
Pertaining to Drawing & Painting for Grades 1&2 and Grades 3-5: Art Sets are for sale at KAC and include all the supplies listed and a tote bag to transport them each week. Artwork in progress may be stored at the art center at your own risk, we are not responsible for any artwork that is left in the studio.. If you wish to order a complete Art Set you must pre-order & pre-pay through the office, to have the supplies ready for the first class. If a student runs out of supplies during a class, the teacher (with your authorization) can provide supplies and an account will be created. Students may begin with one form of media (ie. Pastel)-these materials are also available for purchase at the art center. Drawing materials such as pencils, paper and erasers are provided for all students.
- No food is to be eaten inside the studio.
- No spray paints or fixatives to be used inside... outside only.
- No painting rags allowed or left inside studio.
- Easels, stools, and tables must be left as clean as possible.
Solvent Use: Only the following solvents are allowed at KAC:
- Any odorless thinners such as Turpenoid, Best Klean or an approved generic version. Lavender oil is also acceptable.
Oil Medium Use: Only the following oil paint mediums are allowed at KAC:
- One of the natural oil products, including walnut oil and poppy seed oil, linseed oil, stand oil, Gamblin & Daniel Smith Alkyd mediums, and liquin.
- DO NOT leave glass/metal containers of solvent or medium in KAC trash cans, or dump any amount down any sink at KAC, including studios and bathrooms.
- Your container of used solvent must be brought home in your jar.
- All unused amounts must be properly stored in clearly labeled containers to be recycled/disposed of during Hazardous Products Collection days in your own municipality.
- Cleaning of brushes used in oil painting should be done using the green lava soap or dish soap available in the studio. Baby oil or Murphy's oil soap can also be used.