Painting Supply List
Painting Materials: Decide which material you would like to start with: Acrylics, Oils, Watercolor or Pastels
PAINTS: (Watercolor, Acrylics or Oils)
To start: Choose 'student' grade over 'professional' grade
- Large Titanium White
- Yellow Ochre
- Cadmium Yellow Med
- Terra Verte
- Lemon Yellow Hue
- Cadmium Orange
- Cadmium Red Light
- Permanent Rose
- Alizarin Crimson
- Viridian Green
- Cerulean Blue
- Cobalt Blue
- Burnt Sienna
- Ivory Black
** To avoid high prices on paint –get the “hue” of the color
** Please note: These brands are acceptable: Grumbacher, Rembrandt, Windsor Newton
- PASTELS: If you want to use chalk pastels buy soft pastels in as many colors as you can afford. Half-sticks of pastels are fine, the more colors the better! Brands: Rembrandt, Unison, Schminke, Sennelier.
- SURFACES: for Paint - Stretched Canvas
for Pastels – Any size pastel paper
for Watercolor - Paper: Arches block of 140 lb. rough or a single sheet of 22.5x30 to cut.
for Watercolor or Pastels - Foam Core drawing boards with “Bull Dog” clips or push-pins.
- BRUSHES: Brush hair: (Bristol or Sable brushes are used for oils, synthetic or nylon brushes are used for acrylics and watercolors). Brush Size & Shape (filberts, rounds, flat)
Recommended: Robert Simmons: Filberts Bristol Brushes for Oil #2, 4 & 6 in an assortment of flat, rounds, and brights in all different sizes.
- Painting Palette - Traditional plastic, wood or glass; or disposable paper palette
- Turpenoid for Oil Paints - or other odorless turpentine substitute is preferable and cheaper. Small metal can for turpentine
- Paper Towels