Drawing & Painting for Grades 3 - 5
Students will work with pastels, watercolors, acrylics, charcoal learning to draw and paint from observation. The instructor will work individually with every student in the class, at his or her own level. Materials are required for this class. You may purchase a complete art set, which will be ready for the first day of your class, on our Home Page tab Shop KAC.
Material List (PDF Download)
Attention Chappaqua Parents: We have partnered with the Chappaqua school district to create a stop at KAC each weekday from all three elementary schools. A KAC staff member will meet your child at the bus and provide a comfortable environment for homework and snack until their art class begins. You will have the opportunity to register for the bus at checkout.
Attention Katonah-Lewisboro and Bedford Central School District Parents: Please call the KAC office (914) 232-4843 if you are interested in transportation from your elementary school to KAC.
Visual Arts Policies
Teen Students enrolled in Adult Classes: Students under 18 yrs of age must have written permission from a parent or guardian to attend any class which uses a nude life model. To download the model consent form, click here. The Art Center also reserves the right to substitute life & portrait models for any reason.
Material Lists: Before purchasing supplies for a class, please confirm your class status with the office, (see minimum enrollment & registration policies).
Pertaining to Drawing & Painting for Grades 1&2 and Grades 3-5: Art Sets are for sale at KAC and include all the supplies listed and a tote bag to transport them each week. Artwork in progress may be stored at the art center at your own risk, we are not responsible for any artwork that is left in the studio.. If you wish to order a complete Art Set you must pre-order & pre-pay through the office, to have the supplies ready for the first class. If a student runs out of supplies during a class, the teacher (with your authorization) can provide supplies and an account will be created. Students may begin with one form of media (ie. Pastel)-these materials are also available for purchase at the art center. Drawing materials such as pencils, paper and erasers are provided for all students.
- No food is to be eaten inside the studio.
- No spray paints or fixatives to be used inside... outside only.
- No painting rags allowed or left inside studio.
- Easels, stools, and tables must be left as clean as possible.
Solvent Use: Only the following solvents are allowed at KAC:
- Any odorless thinners such as Turpenoid, Best Klean or an approved generic version. Lavender oil is also acceptable.
Oil Medium Use: Only the following oil paint mediums are allowed at KAC:
- One of the natural oil products, including walnut oil and poppy seed oil, linseed oil, stand oil, Gamblin & Daniel Smith Alkyd mediums, and liquin.
- DO NOT leave glass/metal containers of solvent or medium in KAC trash cans, or dump any amount down any sink at KAC, including studios and bathrooms.
- Your container of used solvent must be brought home in your jar.
- All unused amounts must be properly stored in clearly labeled containers to be recycled/disposed of during Hazardous Products Collection days in your own municipality.
- Cleaning of brushes used in oil painting should be done using the green lava soap or dish soap available in the studio. Baby oil or Murphy's oil soap can also be used.